Skip to main content

Moments of Vision

Growing Up
I saw unconditional love, all my life. I knew my parents loved me. Never doubted; never.

Loving Becky
I could feel something deep within; something new and real -- when I spoke the words to my sweetheart, “I love you.” Overwhelming; shockingly overwhelming. And I meant it. My whole soul was enlivened with true, heaven-yearning emotion.

Becoming Aware of Eternal Things
I knew it was the right thing to do -- when I prayed and spoke with Him about the restored Gospel. I should join. As I knelt, I already knew what the answer was. Overwhelming rightness. Peace. Go forth.

In a moment, I became awakened to the implications of Joseph’s mission. I intuited the reality of his mission and of his vision; that his enemies, and those who would tear him down, that the answer would always be, He was God’s Prophet. No matter what; no matter what was said against him, or about him. I knew.

Looking to the Temple with Becky
I knew in my heart and in my mind what I should do, as I knelt to ask Him, and as I was knelt in prayer, and as I stood up to go forth to ask my sweet heart to marry me in His Holy House.

Becoming a Servant
A while later, I knew, before having to kneel, that I had to go. I had to go out into the world and offer myself as a humble servant to give, and to teach, and to serve and to learn; and to prepare for life as her husband, and as the father of our sweet children.

I stood on my feet and shared my heartfelt and knowing confidence to my ward in testimony meeting before my mission, and during my Farewell, that she would be there upon my return. I never doubted; never.

Serving a Mission
I wrote in my mission journal, the first night on my mission, there in the old Mission Home in Salt Lake City in 1973, that I knew she would be my wife; that we were meant to be. Together forever. I knew. My heart burned.

I told my Mission President and others in Australia -- and was pleased to do so – in a spiritual, thankful, grateful way our story, and how she shared her testimony. Yes, she brought me such wonderful blessings; she and I had such intertwined lives, and hearts and minds.

Seeing our Daughters
I saw our daughters before they were born. Running, with joy and life and happiness beaming from their angel faces. This, as other visions, have come to pass. So fully. So beautifully.

Being in the Temple with Becky
I was calm as a cool gentle spring morning the day we entered into the Temple to be sealed for time and all eternity. Peace and love and contentment and longing and a lively hope filled my soul.

First Dinner with Becky in Our First Apartment
In our first humble attic apartment as newlyweds, and as we sat down for our first dinner, I 'saw' one thousand years into the future. I saw us together (with our extended family) in the glorious Celestial Kingdom. I could barely breath. I quickly walked away from the small kitchen table, crying, gasping for breath, into the cramped living room and fell to my knees weeping for joy. I saw the paradox of the mundane here-and-now and its connecton with a sumblime future. This plain, simple setting was a humble beginning of -- and connected to -- a glorious future.

After several minutes and a heartfelt, kneeling prayer, we repaired back to the kitchen to eat the first of our meals together. I forget what we ate. I can never forget the feeling we shared then, and share now.

Loving our Daughters
Our hearts were filled with real joy, with real love, and with such a fullness to have born to us, and to be associated with such beautiful and wonderful spirits as are our daughters. We watched them grow and saw the shear beauty of their spirits, and still do.

Baptizing our Daughters
I felt the weight, and saw as never before, my responsibility as I baptized our two daughters. Yet, even still, I slipped and was less than I should have been – in too many poor ways and circumstances. But, I got up again and again and tried to repair. I now pray the healing continues on into eternity. Permanent and peaceful and forgiven. This is my hope.

Being in the Temple with our Daughters
I stood in that Holy Place and saw them both in the Temple -- one to be Married, the other to prepare for a Mission. Never has my heart been as clear and FULL of open joy as on those two days. Not since the day I knelt across the altar with my one and only Love. That day, I was young and eager and so young that I had not experienced the full adult need and support of our Lord and Savior. By the time of these days with our daughters, I had needed it, and had received it and could -- with a full thankful heart – appreciate the beauty and the wonderful glimpse of the glorious future that the Temple experience offered me that day.

Becoming One (Extended Family)
I have seen many, many times what I should do in, and before, many callings. In my home life. In my interactions with my neighbor. I have known what I have needed to do and what I would be called upon to do. I still need, especially now, all the full interaction with the Lord and His Spirit and His Atonement -- all that I have been studying about all these years. All that I have been involved with all these years. NOW is the time to more perfectly have these ideas and principles envelope me. Now is the time to return the love our parents so freely offered. Now is the time to give such grandfatherly love to those sweet souls coming into our lives. Not just to believe. But to be.

Seeing Clearly
I see clearly what the Lord, my Eternal Friend, would have me do. Especially when He prompts me to forgive, or to be kind, or to lend a helping hand.

Going Forth
I see all of this. I desire all of this. I am thankful for all of this. I will go forth. I will bend my will to His, until His is mine.

#

Scott L. Vanatter, December 23, 2004 (For Becky and family at Christmas)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Steward, By Carol Lynn Pearson

http://www.amazon.com/Beginnings-Beyond-Carol-Lynn-Pearson/dp/1599558602 The Steward ~ a poem by Carol Lynn Pearson, from her book, Beginnings and Beyond Heber looked at his lands And he was pleased. He’d be leaving them, tomorrow, and his hands Hurt with anticipated idleness. But he knew there was no other way When a man is seventy-eight and has to make Two rest stops with a full bucket of milk Between the barn and the kitchen. Condominiums-do they have gardens? He wondered. His son had arranged the place for them in town And he was ready. He sat down On the rock that knew his body Better than the front room chair. Could it really be fifty-five years ago That sitting right there They had talked? His father’s voice had never left him: “Heber, I’m trusting to you The most precious thing I’ve got. I worked hard for this land. You know all about The crickets and the Indians and the drought, And the buckets of sweat it took To make what you see

Still, Terry

By Scott L Vanatter Poem written August 8, 2011 about my friend Terry Tenove (1954-1978) Still, I think of him -- and often.   (Happily and with affinity.) Sometimes, still, my heart aches then is softened   (Subtly, I see.) His time with us, though shortened, still is not forgotten.   (Not by me.) What he could have created here, is foregone.   (But one day still may be.) Who he was here, doesn’t alone determine who he shall one day become.   (Eternally.) Smiling inside, I know he’s happy even now.   (And free.) In our future reunion all will be compensated, corrected, and perfected.   (Boldly.) No longer in our time, he is forever in God’s.   (Nobly. Still, Terry.)  

Discoveries in Chiasmus now available at Deseret Book in addition to Amazon.com

Our recent book, Discoveries in Chiasmus: A Pattern in All Things, is now available at Deseret Book in addition to Amazon.com. See links here: http://deseretbook.com/Discoveries-Chiasmus-2nd-Edition-Yvonne-Bent/i/5098976. And here: http://www.amazon.com/Discoveries-Chiasmus-Pattern-Things-Edition/dp/1937735109 A couple of years ago Yvonne Bent invited me, among others, to be one of the speakers at a conference she organized on chiasmus . She and I have subsequently edited the proceedings into this new Second Edition. We added a Bio on each author, an Index, and improved the formatting for ease of reading. "This book is a compilation or anthology of the some of the best and most current research on Chiasmus. Each of these author/presenters includes a powerful and unique perspective comprising the separate chapters of the book. "Chiasmus, once assumed to be only an ancient Hebraic literary pattern, can be shown to provide a pattern in all things. It has been identifie