Skip to main content

When I Least Expect It – Rebirth

I.
Sometimes,
When I least expect it,
I happen to catch a brief glimpse of, say,
The side of your face,
As you are talking in a crowd.

Just then,
In an instant,
My heart leaps, then burns with a cool freshness --
A crisp blast of a winter breeze
That burns in and through and out of my chest.

II.
I simply want
To sit there and stare --
Slack-jawed and wide-eyed --
And enjoy the sensation, the revelation, the vision;
To drink it all in,
And taste it fully to my soul’s satisfaction.

I want
To freeze this moment in time
And gaze and wonder and enjoy --
Though I quickly avert my eyes
So as to not make a scene by staring at you.

III.
But, just as quickly,
I glance over at you again
And again without letting anyone -- not even you -- notice;

Stealing a few more peeks;
Warm reminders
Of the many insights and experiences and ideas we've shared
For all the decades we’ve been together.

IV.
How many times
I have marveled at how, for so long, I've known
Who you really are, and who you are becoming.
(And I realize how fortunate I am.)

And I have re-discovered
Yet again your heart and mind --
Over and over, again and again;
New insights upon new insights,
Reawakening upon reawakening.
(And I am startled, yet again, at your Eternal Identity.)

V.
Your inner beauty,
Your inner strength,
Your inner determination,
Your inner faith,
The “aliveness” and gleam
Bursting out of your sparkling eyes
And gentle heart and whole being --
All you are . . .

These things
So deep inside you do perfectly match
Your beautiful, lovely face,
Your excellent caring work,
Your wise voice and counsel --
All you do.

VI.
Too often do I talk or dominate our conversation;
Too often am I oblivious to this wonderful view of you;
Too seldom do I pause and ponder your personality --
Your life full of meaning,
And our future full of hope.

Yes,
Lately I have gazed at you
When you least suspected it,
To enjoy the sparkle in your eye, and the sight of such total beauty.

Sweetheart,
I am amazed at who I see.
I will never tire of seeing you.

Scott Vanatter, 14 July 2003 (Poem for Becky’s 49th birthday)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, I think I am the most lucky woman in the world--to know and feel complete and real and true love. How you make my heart and soul soar. I love you
your becky
Maggie said…
well it looks like you'll have to be my poetry buddy. :P i've been trying to pick it up again. i haven't written in so long...

Popular posts from this blog

The Steward, By Carol Lynn Pearson

http://www.amazon.com/Beginnings-Beyond-Carol-Lynn-Pearson/dp/1599558602 The Steward ~ a poem by Carol Lynn Pearson, from her book, Beginnings and Beyond Heber looked at his lands And he was pleased. He’d be leaving them, tomorrow, and his hands Hurt with anticipated idleness. But he knew there was no other way When a man is seventy-eight and has to make Two rest stops with a full bucket of milk Between the barn and the kitchen. Condominiums-do they have gardens? He wondered. His son had arranged the place for them in town And he was ready. He sat down On the rock that knew his body Better than the front room chair. Could it really be fifty-five years ago That sitting right there They had talked? His father’s voice had never left him: “Heber, I’m trusting to you The most precious thing I’ve got. I worked hard for this land. You know all about The crickets and the Indians and the drought, And the buckets of sweat it took To make what you see

Still, Terry

By Scott L Vanatter Poem written August 8, 2011 about my friend Terry Tenove (1954-1978) Still, I think of him -- and often.   (Happily and with affinity.) Sometimes, still, my heart aches then is softened   (Subtly, I see.) His time with us, though shortened, still is not forgotten.   (Not by me.) What he could have created here, is foregone.   (But one day still may be.) Who he was here, doesn’t alone determine who he shall one day become.   (Eternally.) Smiling inside, I know he’s happy even now.   (And free.) In our future reunion all will be compensated, corrected, and perfected.   (Boldly.) No longer in our time, he is forever in God’s.   (Nobly. Still, Terry.)  

"If You're Going to San Francisco"

This week I have been in San Francisco at the RSA Conference. At the conference I got this caricature done by Zach ( www.caricaturesbyzach.com ). He asked me if I was a retired military colonel. Told him I wasn't, but that I used to be a wrestler and a football player.